As a soon-to-be owner of a vintage, antique and new furniture store, Gild & Co., I keep an eye on the competition in Vancouver. Here is a round up of the ten best vintage furniture stores in Vancouver. I’ve rated each shop’s price point from low to high using one to four dollar signs ($).
1. The Sellution ($) – well-known second hand furniture shop on Main Street at 16th. Don’t expect to like everything in the store, but they often have some great pieces and stock changes frequently. I am still kicking myself still for not buying the seven foot long walnut mid-century modern credenza I saw there a while ago.
2. Scott Landon Antiques ($$$)- by far the best “modern” antiques dealer in town. They have amazing drool worthy pieces, mostly American and Canadian industrial antiques. I’m just waiting for them to take me on a buying trip…
3. Gild & Co. (*cough, this is my store) New to Vancouver (opened June 2013), Gild & Co. mixes vintage and new, focusing on top-quality furniture, antiques, and unique, colourful textiles and home décor. Timeless pieces, from Bergere chairs, tufted sofas and gilded mirrors to modern Danish designs and rustic Canadiana antiques.
4. JoJo’s Place ($$) – on Main Street near 28th Ave, on “antique row”. Industrial / rustic style antiques, iron beds and custom pieces.
5. The Antiques Warehouse ($$$$) on Marine Drive near Cambie Street. Huge selection of French antiques. This is where a client purchased her Bergere chairs, as seen here, redone in cowhide. I also want to go on a buying trip with these guys.
6. By Design Modern ($$$) on Main Street near 30th Ave. If you love mid-century modern, this is the place for you. The showroom is utilitarian and furniture focused so not the place to look for accessories or decorative pieces. Sofas, chairs, tables – yes. Rugs, vases, lava lamps – no.
UPDATE (July 2013): Mid-Century Modern Home in New Westminster has moved to a new location at 810 Quayside Drive.
7. Mid-Century Modern Home ($$) on Quayside Drive in New Westminster. For the mid-century modern fan, this store has a great selection of furniture and home decor. There are a few other vintage and second hands stores nearby so fun for an afternoon outing. If only they had a really good pub next door… (hint, please tell me if I am missing out on some fabulous eatery in New West?).
8. Folkart Interiors ($$) on West 10th at Alma. This place has been around for years. Don’t be scared by the name and the silly/random/folksy things outside; they have some covet-worthy harvest tables and rustic pieces that would add charm to a contemporary interior. If you love a modern farmhouse look, this is your place.
9. Fullhouse ($$$) on West 4th near Fir. I was tempted to keep this one off the list because it is mostly new furniture now, but the vintage that they do have is great. Fullhouse also gets high marks for quality. I’m a buy-for-quality kind of girl. Buy something here, and you will have it for life. Again, they focus on mid-century modern and Scandinavian designs.
10. At Home ($$$) in West Vancouver. While this boutique mainly sells giftware and decorative home ware, the vintage furniture they do have is beautiful and not mid-century modern. These are antiques that you want in your home. Well-designed antiques that stand the test of generations. Bonus – they are located across the street from Savary Island Pie Company…mmm…
See shop locations in the map below (I’m a map dork like that, what can I say, I like making maps).
View Top Vintage Furniture Stores in Vancouver in a larger map